Thursday, April 28, 2011

Invitation Paperwork

Invitation Kit contains the following paperwork:

Visa Application
Passport Application
Resume
Aspiration Statement
Copy of Diploma
Trainee/Volunteer Registration Form

Instructions are labyrinthine. I spent several hours wading through the visa and passport apps, making sure I followed all the instructions and double checking the section on "Common Mistakes." The apps themselves are only 2 pages each, but if you get anything wrong it could cost a lot of time because they have to send you new applications.

Doing the passport app online was good. I had to call and make sure I actually needed to fill out a passport renewal app. I've been traveling since I was 2 years old. I used to have a diplomatic passport. The one I have now is good until 2016, but everyone has to renew because Peace Corps issues you a special passport. Suits me just fine. The picture in my current passport was taken right after a terrible haircut. I look like I'm going to stab someone.

I took my own passport pictures at home and got them printed at Wal-Mart. Way cheaper than getting them taken by a photographer. Requires some basic photo editing and math skills. Tutorial here: http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=22

1 comment:

  1. You are so very accurate in your judgement of the paperwork that comes with the written invitation in that BBP which we wait for so anxiously. Did you have any feelings similar to mine when you had to mail your personal passport along with the renewal application? Isn't it very uncomfortable mailing the passport that you have always maintained securely in your possession for so many years? I tracked mine through UPS and know that it was delivered, but I have not received any acknowledgement from PC. We have to trust that we will receive it back along with the PC-issued passport when we attend Staging. PCVs and RPCVs have all told me that these PC experiences never end.

    ReplyDelete